Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Where to begin? There are so many great secondary characters out there, but trying to narrow those greats down to just ten is painful. When trying to think who my favourites are, I decided to go with characters without whom their books just wouldn’t be the same. Here are the ones I came up with:
1. Ron Weasley from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series: Where would Harry be without his faithful redheaded sidekick? He probably would have been turned to dust ages ago, that’s for sure. I love Ron because he is loyal, awkward, and funny. I so want to be his friend! (Actually, all of the Weasley family–except Percy–makes this list, but they would have almost filled my list…)
2. Mulch Diggums from Eoin Colfer’s Artemis Fowl series: This thieving dwarf is dirty, crude and absolutely hilarious. I mean, come on, the guy travels through the earth by being propelled by his farts. And he’s gotten Arty out of more scrapes than I can count. Unforgettable secondary character!
3. Isaac from John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars: This poor guy loses not just one eye, but both… But he sure has a great sense of humour. Many of the scenes that had me laughing out loud in this otherwise tearful novel involved Isaac–he brought the perfect (and much needed) comic relief, without losing the weight of his own sad story.
4. Loor from D.J. MacHale’s Pendragon series: Tough and stoic, Loor keeps Bobby grounded, acting as his friend, teacher, and moral compass. And she gives him a good kick in the head whenever he needs it.
5. Imogen from Jennifer A. Nielsen’s Ascendance Trilogy: Incredibly smart and brave, she is one of the few who really understands Sage. I love that she is the one person who always manages to surprise Sage, even though he can outsmart pretty much everyone else.
6. Matthew Cuthbert from L.M. Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables: Oh, Matthew! Such a sweet man. I love how he’s always trying to spoil Anne and show her she is loved. If it weren’t for his insistence, I’m not sure Marilla would have let Anne stay. Diana Barry was a close second for this slot.
7. Aragorn from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings: Strong and skilled, with a really good heart, this lost king is a favorite of mine. (The movies might have also tipped the scales in his favour because Viggo Mortensen’s Aragorn… YUM!)
8. Benji from Vikki VanSickle’s Words That Start With B: I just want to scoop Benji up and tell him he is loved! Such a sweetie.
9. President Snow from Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games series: Let’s get one thing straight: I DO NOT like President Snow. He is abhorrent! That said, he is extremely memorable. With his blood red lips and perfumed white roses covering up the smell of his decay, he is a character I will not soon forget.
10. Mrs. Lancaster (Hazel’s mom) from John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars: I cannot even begin to imagine how this woman puts on a brave face everyday. Her strength is incredible–and very memorable.
Which secondary characters are your favourite? Share your answers in comments.
These titles are all available from The Book Depository.