To all of the wonderful moms, grandmas, and motherly types out there: Happy Mother’s Day! May you all be spoiled and treated like the superwomen you are! In honour of the special ladies in our lives, I thought I would share my favourite fictional moms.
1. Molly Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: Without a doubt, Molly is my favourite book mom! She is spirited and strict, and loves her family more than anything else. From her hand-knit wool sweaters to her cornbeef sandwiches and, yes, even her howlers, it’s easy to see just how big her heart is. Plus, she already has seven children but has no problem basically adopting Harry into her family. I have so much love for this woman!
2. Mrs. Lancaster from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: Hazel’s mom puts her life on hold for her daughter. Hazel is her whole world. I love Mrs. Lancaster’s humour and how much she wants her daughter to squeeze every bit of goodness out of life, even though her heart is breaking. It is absolutely heart-wrenching when she sobs, “I won’t be a mother anymore.”
3. Marilla Cuthbert from the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery: Marilla is Anne’s adoptive parent and although she refuses the title of ‘mother’ or even ‘aunt,’ she is no doubt the mother figure in Anne’s life. And what a wonderful surrogate mother she is! She is no-nonsense and may seem cold at times, but she has so much love to give. In later books, Anne herself becomes another of my favourite fictional mothers and I don’t know that this would have been possible if it weren’t for Marilla taking a chance on her.
4. Mrs. Prior from Divergent by Veronica Roth: There is so much that we still don’t know about Mrs. Prior. She is so much stronger than Tris ever knew. Although being in Abnegation means she must keep her emotions under the surface, it is clear that she loves her family very much.
5. Resa Folchart from the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke: Resa is absent in the first book through no fault of her own, but she spent her time in the Inkworld desperately trying to get back to her family. She is smart, artistic and undeniably strong. You can tell from how much her family loves her that she is an incredible mom.
Who are your favourite moms from books? Share your answers in comments?