Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Books I HAD to buy but have been sitting unread on my shelf? Well, that’s probably close to 50% of my bookshelf because while working in a bookstore I was buying books faster than I could read them. Even now that I’ve slowed my book-buying somewhat, I will forever be behind on reading all of the wonderful stories lining my walls. A common bibliophile conundrum, am I right? In any case, here are a few books that I just HAD to have…but haven’t yet read.
1. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare: I know, I know. Now the third one is out making me more behind. *sigh*
2. Brisingr and Inheritance by Christopher Paolini: That’s right I have both, in hardcover no less, and have not read them. I keep putting these ones off because I don’t remember a lot of what happened in the first two and so when I make up my mind to read them, will have to go back and read all four.
3. The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann: This story sounds SO fantastic—I hope I get to it soon.
6. The King in the Window by Adam Gopnik: This book was such a big deal when it came out. It was a Heather’s Pick and the staff at Chapters raved about it. It came out in 2005… and is still sitting unread. 😦
7. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster: This is a book that seems to be on a lot of people’s “my favourite books from childhood” lists, so when I saw a copy in store, I just HAD to buy it and find out why it was so beloved. I’m still waiting to find out.
8. The Blythes are Quoted by L.M. Montgomery: As a huge Montgomery fan, when I heard that there was a continuation of the Anne books that had been published posthumously, I of course HAD to add this one to my collection.
9. The Unicorn Chronicles III: Dark Whispers by Bruce Coville: This third installment was YEARS in the making, so when it FINALLY came out I purchased it right away. In my defense, if it hadn’t taken so long to come out, I would have it read by now (I know because I would have still been deep in my unicorn phase).
10. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray: Someday, someday… I have heard very good things about this series.
Which books did you just HAVE to buy, but are still unread? Share your answers in comments.
And on that note, isn’t it wonderful that books don’t have an expiry date? They will always be there waiting for you…