Happy Valentine’s Day! I thought today would be a good day to spread the love… love quotes, that is. Roses, wine, and candlelight are all well and good, but don’t underestimate words from the heart. In case you need some inspiration this Valentine’s Day, or you just share my weakness for anything romantic, here are a few of my favourite quotes about love to get you in a romantic mood:
WARNING: If you have a low mushiness tolerance, I suggest skipping ahead to #10 because things are about to get very mushy, indeed.
1. “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” ~John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
2. “I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.” ~Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
3. “and she loved a little boy very, very much—even more than she loved herself.” ~Shel Silverstein, The Giving Tree
4. “And now I know why they invented words of love, why they had to: It’s the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once.” ~Lauren Oliver, Delirium
5. “’There is a room in the Department of Mysteries,’ interrupted Dumbledore, ‘that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature. It is also perhaps the most mysterious of the many subjects for study that reside there. It is the power held within that room that you possess in such quantities and which Voldemort has none at all. […] In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you.’” ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6. “In love—it sounded like a sickness without any cure, and wasn’t that just how it felt sometimes?” ~Cornelia Funke, Inkdeath
7. “In so many millennia, the humans never did figure love out. How much is physical, how much in the mind? How much accident, and how much fate? Why did perfect matches crumble and impossible couples thrive? I don’t know the answer any better than they did. Love simply is where it is.” ~Stephenie Meyer, The Host
8. “Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That’s what it is: an edge, a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.” ~Lauren Oliver, Delirium
9. “Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” ~Nicole Krauss, The History of Love
And because it makes me laugh:
10. “February is midwinter, and February 14th is mid February, so today is mid-midwinter, the bleakest day of the year. Also love is celebrated.” ~Lemony Snicket
Help spread the love! Share your favourite love quotes in comments.