Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
As our neighbours to the south are preparing to give thanks with copious amounts of turkey (mmm!), extravagant parade floats and unfathomable lines outside appliance stores, there is no reason why we in Canada cannot also give our thanks. Top Ten Tuesday is feeling the holiday spirit with this week’s theme of ten authors you are thankful for. So here we go:
I am thankful for…
1. John Green for giving me a good cry in The Fault in Our Stars. For setting a standard of unbelievable writing that I could never hope to emulate but pushes me to be a better writer. And for endless hours of entertainment with The Vlog Brothers. DFTBA!
2. Tahereh Mafi for making me look at language in a new light. Your metaphors are inspiring.
3. Eoin Colfer for never failing to make me laugh.
4. Lucy Maud Montgomery for introducing me to a kindred spirit.
5. J.K. Rowling for showing me the magic of the wizarding world (despite my being a muggle).
6, 7, 8 and 9. Brian Jacques, Kenneth Oppel, Lemony Snicket and Vicki Blum for really starting my love affair with reading. You sent me through the rabbit hole into an eye-opening world of words.
10. And all the other authors I have read over the years for feeding my imagination, sending me off on adventures and always providing a welcome retreat when I need it.
Which authors are you thankful for? Share your answers in comments.